PSYC 250 – Introduction to Developmental Psychology
- Provides a general introduction to major theories, perspectives, research developments and methods in developmental psychology.
- Topics covered in this course include theory and research related to prenatal, cognitive, emotional, social, language and moral development, as well as the influence of culture on development.
PSYC 352 – Culture and Cognition
- The course will provide you with a general introduction to major theories, perspectives, research developments and methods in the relatively young sub-field of cross-cultural developmental psychology.
- Specifically we will approach this topic from a social‐cognitive perspective, examining the impact of differences in parenting and the early social ecology of infants on development.
PSYC 450/425/426 – Community Engaged Research for Social Science in Vanuatu
- Four week field school focusing on learning methods and skills for conducting community-engaged social science research
- Students will spend the the first week in Vanuatu living in Port Vila, practicing Bislama, learning about Tanna culture, and developing their research project with community members
- Two weeks will be spent on Tanna Island, conducting and revising project according to local goals, feedback, and general input
- Final week will be spent in Port Vila, conducting analyses and summarizing findings to present back to community members in an appropriate and community-led manner
- Application Deadline: January 31st, 2020
- Recommended Courses: PSYC 250, PSYC 351
PSYC 106 – Psychological Issues in Contemporary Society: Psychology of Climate Change
- Explores the important role of psychology in the mitigation of, and adaptation to our changing climate
- Provides a brief introduction to the climate change basics, including its mechanisms and impacts, and how scientists measure and model climate
- Addresses how psychological science can help answer questions including:
- What is the best way to communicate about climate change, and how does one spot climate misinformation?
- How does the functioning of the human brain influence our understanding of, and decisions to take action on, the issue of climate change?
- What roles do culture and inequity play in the adaptation to climate change?
- How does empathy for nature develop?
- How does climate change influence kids, and how can kids influence climate change?
- How does climate change influence human mental health and wellbeing?
- work with a Psychology department faculty member on a reading or a research project of mutual interest